Wednesday 4 April 2012

Words I don't like

There are a number of words and phrases I've been thinking about recently that I don't like so I thought I'd make a record of them here. I would love this to be a growing list and to hear from you about the words and phrases you don't like.

Vulnerable: I always squirm a little bit inside when I hear people described as vulnerable. I've not been able to put my finger on it till recently, but my question is would it in many cases be more accurate to describe 'vulnerable' people as oppressed. Rather than focusing on the abilities and resources of an individual why not focus and name the forces, structures and individuals that cause the situation.

Sex Work: I was just listening to some Christian talks which twice used the term 'sex work'. AHHHHH! I'm sure this was done out of ignorance and not because these people understand the political statement they are making when they use this phrase. Please don't do these oppressed, violated and abused women the massive disservice by calling what they endure work. Equally don't call them prostitutes and blame them I know its longer but women exploited in prostitution, is little effort for you and an enormous validation of their experience.

Political correctness: The only people who ever use this phrase then say something negative. It is an attempt to reword the movement and language of equality to make it something negative. I heard someone on the radio the other day asking if political correctness had gone to far. Well if its gone too far then it was heading in the wrong direction. Anyway no one ever offers a definition of what PC means. Its this nebulous thing that is used to silence just about everything.

'As women we're told we can have it all and we can't': or words to that effect. Why not? Men have, for years been able to have carriers and be fathers, no one ever says they can't or writes countless articles about men who have got exhausted by trying to balance family life and work. Now if they're saying that people can't have everything they want then of course that's true, we all have to make sacrifices and lay down our lives for the sake of others and caring responsibilities put some fairly immediate pressure on us.

'Do you wear the trousers?': Evidently yes, you can see I am (well obviously you as readers can't but the people asking this question can) and that's my husband over there and as you can see he is also wearing trousers. Jesus didn't though he wore long floaty robes and open toed sandals.

What are the words or phrases that irritate you and why?

3 comments:

  1. Good post, Jenny. I'm going to go for 'Soz' and 'Lol' being used in everyday conversation. The reasons for my disgust should be obvious...
    As for phrases, as a teacher I'm constantly hearing 'This is probably wrong but...' - why do people always make a point with so little conviction and confidence? I would love to hear people say 'Now, listen here everyone, and I will thrill your ears with the most insightful and intelligent of observations'. Confidence: that's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam,

    I think you have a great point, we seem to train people to be insecure and unsure. How to be confident (or bs dependent on if it was feigned or not!) along with cycling with no hands were the two useful things I learnt at uni!

    I would love to know the reasons for your disgust at first two words? Has language not always changed?

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Language certainly has always changed and it's a good thing on the whole. I'm afraid I was being a bit of a facetious prescriptivist with that comment and my boss would no doubt be very disappointed in me for making it. It's just quite annoying how 'sorry' seems to be the hardest word (*doffs his cap to Elton John*) but 'soz' seems to come quite naturally...

    ReplyDelete

Please do let me know what you think. I am well aware I am not always right!