Monday 18 June 2012

Your Vagina Smells Just Great!

On Saturday I was on a very pleasant walk with my beautiful family when suddenly I was confronted with an advert on the side of a phone box, which quiet honestly made me burst out laughing. It appears I am not the only one who noticed.

While the utter ridiculousness of Femfresh's product initially made me laugh I also find it incredibly sinister. The beauty industry has made an assault on most every part of our bodies, not even our vaginas are exempt from it's critique. 'Whatever you call it make sure you love it' translation: If your not using our product you are not loving your vagina and it needs special products cause it's a little bit smelly and gross.

This in a week where we've seen uproar because someone dared to use the word vagina in a debate in Michigan. And the Christian world is no more comfortable with the word, though I am glad the it did make it into Rachel Held Evan's book (http://rachelheldevans.com/victory-vagina).

So can I make a plea. Please love your vagina, vulva, clitoris et al. and know that it is just great the way it is, there is a reason it doesn't smell of flowers. And before you feel the need to purchase something that promises to provided 'multi-Actif deoderising complex to provide that little extra reassurance', ask yourself, when was the last time you thought 'gosh her vagina smells', why have they miss-spelt active and did I feel the need for reassurance previous to seeing this ad?


2 comments:

  1. I know I'm late commenting on this but have you noticed that it's now nigh on impossible to buy non-'scented' Always sanitary towels? They make you smell like a sanitary bin. I guess the thinking must be: better to smell of disgusting chemicals associated with decomposing used tampons than risk offending someone's nostrils with your (previously inoffensive) menstruation (any odours from which the old Always dealt with anyway). Unclean, unclean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Its never too late. I had noticed. But currently buying bio degradable ones which are beautifully scent free. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please do let me know what you think. I am well aware I am not always right!