Wednesday 15 August 2012

Brilliant Brave

(Warning: contains a few spoilers)

Would you believe that I voluntarily went to see Disney's new princess film... and loved it, absolutely loved it. I cried nearly the whole way through. 

Recently I was lent a copy of 'The Women who Run with Wolves' I've hardly started but am immediately  captivated by the idea of the wild woman archetype. I think Brave provides just that. Here's a girl who run's with bears.

I loved the couple of occasions where her bear mother leap's forward to defend her. It was a fantastic picture of the Mother heart of God.

I loved that the relationship between the two women (Merida and Elanor) was the central theme of the film. That it was really real, that they both learnt from each other, that there was reconciliation and that together they managed to challenge and change a patriarchal system. 

I loved that there was no man coming to the rescue.

I loved that even the witch came off well, and the sense that she was really standing in solidarity with Merida.

I loved that the sibling rivalry/collusion between Merida and her brothers seemed normal and healthy and wasn't about gender.

I loved that there was nothing ever at any moment passive about Merida, that she 'went out and made her own fate.' 

But the bit I loved most was the moment when she stood up and claimed her right as a first born to compete (for her own hand). This is what I want for our dear daughters, not passive princess like waiting for some man to come rescue them, but a fearless reckless bravery that stands up and dares to claim its full inheritance in Christ. 

It felt like Disney was almost deliberately having a dialogue with itself. The part of the old princess archetype was played by Elanor, who clashes with the new (though the scenery and setting made it feel that she could also have been the ancient) archetype Merida. And this is not a story about one vanquishing the other, both learn from each other and new possibilities are opened up. Merida is not an archetype that requires us to be like her, but one that open's up new possibilities, new questions. One that will give permission to our daughters to be themselves.

This is a brilliant, brave and welcome statement from Disney. Thankyou. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do let me know what you think. I am well aware I am not always right!