Thursday 7 June 2012

Breast vs Bottle War


I have not eaten Nestle for half my life. 14 years. Now you all know how old I am. That is how much I value breastfeeding.

I complained about a display in a local shop that had cow's head's on female dressed manikins with a sign declaring 'Breast is Best', I value Breastfeeding.

But I cannot walk round the adult world and tell who was breast fed and who wasn't.

It's just not as important as we'd like to make it. Sure there are questions to be asked about capitalist marketing, about women's body image and support of the wider community, but at the end of the day what matters is that the child was fed and held and loved.

Pendulum's swing and in reacting against pressure we must ensure we don't create it. There are women distraught because they cannot breastfeed or can't produce enough milk or don't want to, or want to return to work or have to return to work.

Feminists need to create a rhetorical environment that values breastfeeding but also values choice. That values the best for the child recognising that that is not divorced from the needs of the mother. In responding to a situation where women where coxed and coerced into using formula lets not create a situation where they are coxed and coerced into not using formula.

Stop the mummy wars join the movement for parent peace.

1 comment:

  1. As a doctor (but not a parent ) I have to agree. The primary need of a child of an infant is fluid and calories without which they will die. While there are many advantages to breast milk (transfer of immunoglobulins etc) adequate nutritional input is the infants primary need. Where it is possible / desired in the majority (but not all cases) breast milk is the optimal nutritional choice. However infants can become sick from dehydration through receiving insufficient volume of breast milk / transmission of infection / transmission of drugs (medication) correctly prepared formula will not kill you the above can. As a doctor I think women need to be supported which ever choice they take and that as health professionals we should help to dispel the unnecessary guilt women who are unable / decide not to breast feel

    ReplyDelete

Please do let me know what you think. I am well aware I am not always right!