Wednesday 6 June 2012

I vow to thee, the market


As promised in my previous blog my take on an old hymn:

I vow to thee, the market, to support your bet,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of your debt;
The debt that asks no question, the debt that fails the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The debt that’s bound to falter, the debt that pays the price,
The debt that makes unquestioned the final sacrifice.

I heard a country calling, away across the sea,
Across the waste of deficit it calls and calls to me.
The people all are paying for a future full of dread,
And round her land are lying the dying and the dead.
I hear the noise of cut backs, the rhetoric of what’s fair,
I haste to pay taxes, but not all pay their share.

And there's another system, I've heard of long ago,
Most dear to them that seek it, most great to them that know;
We may not rate its credit, we may speak of her King;
Its fortress is not usury, her pride not profiting;
And soul by soul they don’t care if the shining bonds increase,
As its ways are ways of generousness, and all its paths are peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do let me know what you think. I am well aware I am not always right!